Tuesday, June 02, 2009

My First Fondant

I always wanted an EasyBake Oven.

Instead, I pretended our kitchen was a restaurant and made up menus listing the few items I could make: hot dogs, toast, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... the classics. I can't remember how much I charged, but I'm pretty sure that I was willing to negotiate for nothing.

I inherited my sweet tooth from both sides of my family, and although cooking meals has yet to come naturally, my love for baking desserts seems to just keep growing. I guess I just figure there's a lot of intimidating science involved with the accuracy in cooking. But baking seems harder to mess up... (Although the infamous "Salt-for-Sugar Swap" of '85 in our brownies was a baking benchmark for me and my friend, Jenny).

I have since learned to be a little more patient with myself. A little. In the past I've spent time teaching myself how to create yummy cookies, cupcakes, and pies. More recently I've been wanting to become a little better at making cakes. Recently, I finally took a stab at making a cake with fondant on top. Allison (quite the savvy cake-maker) gave us some advice. It was followed by a last-minute phone call for help to Michal, who might be one of the best cooks I know.

Okay, so here's what we made. A four-layer chocolate cake with raspberry and whipped cream, plus buttercream with fondant on top.


The marshmallow fondant was quite the adventure to work with. I guess the big thing that we quickly learned was to grease the countertop before working with the fondant. We ended up making it work, but it was just a little messier to clean up than it would have been had we greased the counter.


We dyed some fondant and used the Spring colors to make a Spring-themed cake.
Look! Pretty flowers...

Evan added a butterfly... and a sun with - of course - sunglasses. (I'm sure there's something existential about that). Oh... and I made some grass with a lil' bunny hiding.

And Megan was kind enough to add a ladybug (cute!) and a caterpillar.

It was not only the cutest cake ever but also one of the yummiest! :)