Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Cuisine Quest: The Sushi Solution

So let's just get this outta the gate. I am, and have been for some time, obsessed with sushi.
"But wait. Aren't you a vegetarian?"
I don't care. I have never been able to give the stuff up. Just like the Mormons who drink coke (which I also subscribe to), I am a sushi-lovin'-veggie. I can't help it!

In college, my best friend Annie and I used to eat a huge veggie meal at least once a week. We were poor, but we always had enough cash for maki and tempura. It was a necessity for survival!!!
For many years, I actually had sushi as a prerequisite for my dating life. If the man would suggest sushi for a first date, he was typically a shoo-in to my heart. If he had never had sushi but was willing to try it, he would get some points. If he was opposed to the idea of raw fish, then sorry dude, not a chance!

My particular favorite is a simple maki roll: spicy tuna. When I lived in Utah, I would have sushi at least three times a week. I found a really great joint that had great rolls and miso (it's called Kenji -- do they still have it???).

Now I'd like to do a taste test around the city. I've already tried several places, but just not nearly enough. I've tried a few places, but I think this will be my next personal assignment. So now you have a reason to come visit -- you can try some sushi with me! Yum!