Sunday, October 02, 2005

The City That Never Sleeps

I get it now. Whoever called New York "The City That Never Sleeps" was likely a grad student at Columbia.

I've been up late studying every night. I typically stay up until 1:30. I haven't stayed up that late on a consistent basis since I was in undergrad, and back then my body could take it!

I went to see La Boheme at the Metropolitan Opera this week. That sounds pretty cool to announce. Then I realize, that opera's performed at the Met every year. So I went to something like it's 1,968th performance. It doesn't make me feel so cool when you say it like that. BUT, it was my first time there! What a beautiful theatre! An absolutely gorgeous grand curtain! And the chandeliers lift up to the ceiling just before the show starts. Good stuff.

I went out for my first interview for my thesis this week. I still haven't figured out whether I'll use it. I'm going to discuss contemporary religious theatre, but I'm not sure what about it.
Anyway, the play I went to cover is called, "Kabbalah." I went to the final callback auditions. I didn't exactly know what I was getting myself into. I just read the articles on its homepage:
http://www.jewishtheater.org/Jewish%20Theater/Press.htm
They hadn't sent me the script because they said it was "still in the works." Okay, so here's the story: a rabbi is reading Genesis and realizes God was cursing Adam and Eve because they clothed their nakedness. So he goes out and preaches nudity to everyone. Apparently, at the end of the show, everyone lines up naked. They've included a Madonna character in the script. The director says the show is not about Kabbalah; it's about faith and how people are too blinded by their religions. If I decide to use this element, I think it will go great against a show where the intentions are based on people who think the world is corrupt and that people are faithless.
So those are just some thoughts.

Luckily, the interview was right near the Empire State Building, so I got to walk around. I didn't go up to the top yet; I'm waiting for friends and family to come visit before doing all the cool stuff.

Also, I think we're finally pulling back from all our talk on theory in one class. Now I have to go back and figure out what we actually talked about. Who is Foucault really? What is deconstruction? What were the influences behind Adorno and Benjamin? We now move on to reading plays in that class. Our first target: Hamlet. Thank goodness.