Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rico

I've been quite entertained with the bums so far. In fact, some have left a lasting impression with me.

There are those who scream random thoughts out into the street.
There are those who sleep at night curled up with the books they hope to sell during the day.
And there's even the man who I saw the other day talking with police -- wearing only his droopy boxer shorts. I'm not sure if he were really a bum, but I think his sighting is worthy of categorizing him with the rest.

Then there is my favorite bum so far: Rico.
I've run into Rico a few times, and each time he forgets that he's seen me. Just today I saw him twice -- in two totally different areas of Morningside Heights. He always approaches in a very nice manner with, "Excuse me. Can I ask you something?"
The first time I briefly talked to him.
He thanked me for "not being racist." I found it funny that he assumed all the people who weren't talking to him were racist instead of uninterested in bums.
This morning he saw me as I was finishing up a run in Central Park.
He asked his usual question and then followed with "...oh. You don't have any pockets."
He has a habit of sulking when his efforts go unrewarded. I find it absolutely entertaining.

I have this little game I play in my head every time I see a bum; I ask myself, is he crazy? on something? or just mentally "disabled?" It's a good game, but I can never tell if I'm winning or losing.

There are also the subway bums, which are typically fantastic. There's a group of men who walk through the cars and announce, "Welcome to the Gospel Train!!!" Then they launch into a wonderful Motown quartet. There are also those who sell the homeless newspaper for a dollar. I just think it's great. They're kind, well-spoken, and pretty good at sales!
There are, however, those subway bums who are seeped in the smell of their own urine. They are typically quiet, but their presence never goes unnoticed. They tend to walk through the cars when it's packed, forcing them to rub close to everyone. The stench is so horrid it makes me want to vomit.

I once had a boyfriend my grandfather referred to as a bum. I think he was right. That ex would do well in New York.