Saturday, October 22, 2005

Where Nobody Knows Your Name

I have no idea what the deal is, but I've never had more people mispronounce my name than in the past two months. How difficult is it, really? Some versions I have heard here:
Tamryn
Tuh-MARE-uh
Tuh-MAHR-uh
Cameron
Tara
Tam-uh
Mahr-uh

I've noticed that correcting this mistake is now virtually a habit.
"It rhymes with camera."
"Just ignore the middle 'A'."
"You can just call me Tam."

Very interesting. I even had one guy read my name tag and tell me, "You spelled your name wrong." I have professors who still don't get it. I can't really correct them in the middle of class this far into the semester, can I?

Mom, did you and Dad think it was going to be this hard for me? Did my paternal grandparents really think my name was "Camera" because dad was a photographer? Should I just start going by "Camera" so people think I was raised by cool hippies?

How is it that people can keep track of Sean Puff/P. Daddy/Diddy Combs's names... and they can't even figure out how to pronounce mine? [BTW, he now goes by just "Diddy."]