Friday, November 04, 2005

Getting Into the Groove

Things are getting better.

I think.

Every day, I seem to go through a cycle: I constantly feel like I'm keeping my head above water, and just when I feel as if I'm about to fully keep afloat, I sink back down. Ugh.

I met with one of my professors yesterday. He gave me some support and advice on how to improve my writing and how to organize my thoughts. Tip #1: Never Give Up. Tip #2: Start with an outline.
I asked, "Will I ever be able to write without an outline again?"
He answered excitedly, "Faulkner used outlines until the day he died! He would put little pieces of paper outlining his books up on the wall!"
"That's not the answer I was looking for."

I think I'm starting to get my brain working in a different form once again, though. Writing essays is just simply a far different beast than writing for television, so I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself; things just take time.

One of my fellow J-schoolers suggested something our class should look into as an investment. Let me know what you think about this tool kit: