Monday, September 05, 2005

Trying Out Tribeca

My first assignment at Columbia: attend an art event you normally wouldn't. I headed down to The Knitting Factory in the Tribeca area. They have live, local music. I should have left my heels at home. Everyone was sitting on the floor in a very beatnik-esque way. The band was very mellow -- as were the people. I kicked off the heels and sat down among the crowd. Most of the songs were about love, lost love, longing for love, and love gone wrong. But there was one final number I felt was meant just for me -- "Oregon." It was about exploring the beauty of the state and blazing the three-thousand miles to get there. I wanted to cry!

I have other homework too, it's just not nearly as exciting to discuss. Classes start tomorrow and I'm nervous. I actually had to send one professor in the theatre department my resume to get into a class. I'm still not sure if I can get in! Yikes! Talk about a tough crowd!

My weekend was boring but good. I went to church yesterday. It's actually in the same building as the temple. I was talking to a young woman I knew from my church in Portland. While I was telling her how much I "miss my dog" a woman tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Are you Tamara?"

I spoke with Emily Call a couple months ago. She and I found each other through the church housing web list. She seems pretty cool and I predict we'll get along swimmingly. She wasn't in the room when I introduced myself and only knew who I was by my dog comment. Apparently I talk about my dog a lot...

Ah yes. And the big news of our apartment: Paola found a kitten at the subway station and brought it home. She named her Ace because it was found at the A-C-E subway stop. The kitty is cute and offers a nice little "homey" element. She's gray with little white stripes on her side and dots on her belly. I think she likes me lots. Why is it cats see that "sucker" sign so easily on my forehead?

Oh yes. Did I mention I miss my cats and my dog yet?