Thursday, March 09, 2006

My Wings


First grade.
I made my first pair out of purple poster board with help from my mother.

I stood on stage and fidgeted with the elastic over my shoulders that were holding up the heavy winged cutouts flapping on my back. It was then that I walked up to a microphone and sang my first solo.

Since then my wings have changed dramatically as I take some time, step into my soul, and figure out my next plan.




Sometimes when my wings are dusty I feel the presence of angels looking over me and offering me strength not only to fly but to stand.




Right now I'm donning a new pair.
I keep wondering what they'll look like when they fully develop.
I get small glimpses as I peel away old layers from this well-worn cocoon. From what I see there's something beautiful inside just waiting to come out.

I have no idea where I'll take my new accessories or how well I'll wear them. But I plan to flaunt their striking essence because they'll be mine.
I can already feel the air sweeping underneath them.

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
-Chang Tzu

I am very grateful for a husband who always lets me do my own thing... He never insists that I do anything his way, or any way for that matter. From the very beginning he gave me space and let me fly. -Marjorie Hinckley