Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Drama

I love the theatre.
I always have.

One of the things we learn in the theatre is how to be in the moment, how to communicate, and how to purely present ourselves.

So why is it that when we use the phrase, "that person is so dramatic" it means that he or she is over the top? Interesting.

Lately I've been noticing people who are dramatic in this ironic sense. And I've noticed that we spend a lot of time blowing things way out of proportion when it comes to relationships between men and women.
Why do we make things so difficult when it comes to relationships? I don't get it. If it's something that's right, won't it just kinda' work?
I'm far from an expert, so I don't know the right answer to that question.

I asked my adorable 98-year-old grandfather a few months ago what it was that drew him to my grandmother. He said, "We just gelled, y'know?"

I'm not suggesting that relationships are easy. But I am suggesting that we try to avoid freaking out about every little thing.
Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm totally guilty of this too. Maybe even the most guilty... and that's likely why I'm bringing it up.

What I hope is that we can each learn how to function in relationships as we would on stage by being in the moment, communicating, and being true about how we're presenting ourselves. What a relief it would be if we could each master that skill.