Thursday, March 01, 2007

Timing's My Thing

When I worked at KSL I was asked to produce a Book-A-Thon. I was still green enough in my career that I still had yet to learn that anything ending in "a-thon" is a pain in the butt to produce.

A woman (it's a blessing I can't remember her name) had a LONG list of guests and I produced a three-hour long show. We sat sweating in a cushy control room... one like I've never seen before or since. I sat in an armchair as I called the next move, and there was actually a huge set-up of food and drinks. Ms. No-Name stood by the table of treats and delicately popped pieces of fruit into her mouth.
The man in charge of the tv station came downstairs. I'd never seen him before. He was stopping by to pat the backs of those putting on a good show. Through a warbled stuffed mouth, the woman graciously thanked him. She pointed to the harried director and commented on his hard work. Then she gestured toward me and commented, "And her. Timing's her thing."

Timing's my thing?


Wow. I'd never been reduced to a "timer" at that point in my career. A "show-stacker", yes. A person who "writes the copy", yes. But never as a "timer." It's still interesting to me to see how people define the job of a live tv producer. Very misunderstood and, unfortunately, under-recognized for what we really do.

The irony?
Timing really turned out to be my thing!

I was once at my job in Portland and my supervisor asked me to "just sit in the control room for five minutes" to make sure President Bush would actually talk for the 30 minutes he promised. He only spoke for five, leaving me to fill the remaining 25.
Although this will likely mean nothing to you, I have been on shows that require me to land it on more than 8 "hard outs." I've been able to accordion an hour-long show to three minutes and make it appear as if it were meant to be that way. And I've even mistakenly added and subtracted groceries using 60s and 30s instead of dollars and hundreds.

Timing's my thing.

When you're producing a show, each story, weather hit, and commercial gets its own spot. It's a juggling act. Advertisers have paid for their 30 second spot to air at a certain time, so we have to make sure those get in. And when there's breaking news, a late story, a flubbed liveshot... the whole gameplan gets thrown out and you're left to improvise. And make it look natural. And keep it on time. And get your commercials in.

Mostly I've been lucky in these situations because I believe in prayer.

Typically a reporter will come to you with a good story and will ask for more time. In some cases, a lot more time (Anna Song). Sometimes I say 'yes.' Sometimes I say 'no.' It depends on what else is going on in the show and how good the story really is.

I've noticed that timing is also my thing in "real life." My mother has called me the "number nerd" in the family because I always remember important dates, appointments, and ages. I don't know what my deal is.

Plus, I have a considerable appreciation for time and planning. The truth is, I really, really hate for my time to be wasted. Maybe it comes from the short amount of time I had with my father. Maybe it comes from wasting so much time on failed relationships. Maybe I just want it all now. Who knows?

I was always one to get ahead of the game on things. Somehow I always timed it just right. In college, I would slowly stroll to class across campus, enjoying the soft fall breezes and peace of the southern Virginia fall. I always made it to class (sometimes late -- those strolls were worth it!) and I managed to graduate a year early with a double-major.
In grad school I was far from the smartest person in the lot. But I was the only one with perfect attendance.
And I have managed to weasel my way into good jobs based on the clever timing of my approach.

I believe this is why I hold so much angst when I feel as if my time has been wasted. As if I've been strung along for someone waiting to make a decision. It's been said that "not making a decision is making a decision."
I think I've become a little better about being patient. A little. But time is important to me. In some ways, I feel as if it's all I have, so how I spend it is absolutely vital. And people who waste my time typically get voted off the island.

So that brings me to where I am right now in my life. I'm being asked to give people "more time." Well... how much more time before you decide that I'm worth more than the time I've already invested? Seriously. How much more time do you need?

I realize that I've always been ahead of the game. It began as always being the youngest in my class. Does that mean I'm brilliant? Wow. Big honkin' "No." Just ask my professors! But it does mean that I've learned the craft of figuring things out ahead of time. And that typically means ahead of other people. And that typically means I end up waiting.

Does that mean I've been waiting in vain?

I don't feel like having anyone comment on this. It is purely a post to explore some thoughts and writing.
I think I'm going to use part of this for my next cover letter...