Thursday, January 19, 2006

Girl Talk

When I was in the sixth grade I received the board game "Girl Talk" as a birthday present. I never understood why an actual game needed to be made to coerce young girls to talk to one another about boys. We certainly spoke about them enough as it was already. In fact, I would predict that most of my discussions with friends from the late 80s onward were about boys.
I've noticed a change in the way girls talk as we become older. Our talks become less and less detailed. We speak in theories about who and what we want and have. And we invite men into our discussions.
So I'm here to share some girl talk with you. I am finally realizing how important love is. Not only the love of a lover, but the love of one another. And I've been thinking about the different types of love that I've allowed and resisted in my life.
My goal for the next few months is to invest in my relationships and allow people in a little more than I've allowed before.
To begin, I'm revealing what I believe to be some good girl talk from my life. All the hours I've spent shaving my legs, looking intensely into the mirror, thinking of clever things to say, dreaming of words that would never be said to me, crying over the pain of a life that I will never have... it has all been worth it.
Here's a little more detail that I'm sure many women will relate to on some level:

I have spent an entire day preparing for a date.

A single embrace has swept me away to forever-never-land.

I have called in sick to work because I've felt too heart-broken to get out of bed.

I sometimes walk down the street with a secretive smile when I recall certain romantic memories.

I've never cheated on a boyfriend. But I have kissed someone else's.

I have granted second chances... or more.

A flower has changed my perspective.

I've been known to be drawn in by the force of blue eyes alone.

I have been uplifted by men who give me a warm glimpse.

I will listen to a song on repeat recalling the "way I felt when..."

I've driven several hours for a single kiss.

I have moved to another city to make break-ups easier.

Men have asked me to marry them.

Flirtatious men in Rome helped me realize I was beautiful when I was 19.

I have purchased new clothes to prepare for dates.

It took me years and years to get over a lost love.

I've said "I love you" to more than one man. I meant it most of the time.

I have had men write songs about me and serenade me.

I can stay up for several hours in the night dreaming about a man who doesn't exist.

It took me years to realize being alone is better than being in an unhealthy relationship.

I have no regrets.

I know I will someday let love in and fall in love again.