Saturday, February 25, 2006

Time for an Upgrade

Friday night, I headed a few blocks away for dinner. My cute purse sat nestled under my chair carefully placed between my feet. One minute it was there. The next: gone.
I checked, double-checked, checked, checked, checked. No bag.

Frustrating. But not the end of the world.
Thankfully I was graced with the presence of a man who didn't freak out about it. We waited for the cops to come, filed a police report, and played tic-tac-toe while I called to cancel my credit cards. You know... the usual date stuff.

Items listed as victims of "grand larceny":
purse: new, black, cute
driver's license: priceless, picture I actually liked
Visas (2): cancelled
health insurance card
wallet: red, nice, leather
ear bags: off-white
gum: Eclipse, winterfrost, 8 pieces
ticket stub from play I saw Tuesday night
pen: black, bic, ball point
gloves: tan, warm, fleece
cash: nearly nothing
metrocard: $6 remaining
phone: cute pics of pets, phone numbers, text messages
batteries: AA, three new, 1 old
minidisc: new, unused
lip gloss: MAC, light pink, little left but oh-so-missed
lipstick: it lasted me years, perfect color
fancy new lip balm: gifted to me from my brother for Valentine's Day

Apparently I'm into lip products. Or at least I was until yesterday.

I had luckily taken my radio equipment out of my purse before we left my place. The new iPod remained safely on my desk. I almost even left my wallet at home. But yeah.

So what now?
It's time for an upgrade.

I picked up a cheap phone as a replacement today but plan to exchange it for something better when I head to Portland in a couple weeks.
I mean really. If I get stuff taken from me that I like, am I really going to replace it with things that are less worthy? Yes, I realize it's just "stuff" but whatever.

I've been due for upgrades on many levels for quite some time.
And now I'm cashing in.

There are times in our lives when we deal with things in certain ways because we're just used to dealing with them. But as we change, grow, improve... those old things are no longer needed.

And that's where I am now.
I'm done.
It's now time for newer and better.