Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Oh Empathy!

Does knowing truth somehow create arrogance?

One of the criticisms I have heard (and have felt myself) about members of the LDS church is the amount of arrogance we carry when we talk about our doctrine. Many members tend to speak in a very matter-of-fact "this is the way it is" way... and sometimes that type of execution comes across as arrogance.

Church and any spiritual/religious affiliation aside, truth is truth. And there is a truth inside each one of us. And I am finally shedding the fear of owning my own truth, my own possibilities, my own purpose, no matter what the outcome. It can actually be scary breaking out of your self-set limitations, but oh so necessary. At least it's necessary for me. Right now. And I've been celebrating a sense of freedom within and a celebration of faith, fearlessness, and possibility!

So.

Friends, why is it that I feel as if I've lost a bit of empathy and replaced it with arrogance lately? Is it because I'm so in love with truth that somehow I've lost a sense of gentility? Has my faith forced me to seem holier-than-thou?

Yikes!

I was with a friend at brunch the other day and I was so joyous about POSSIBILITY! Joy filled my soul throughout. And when she quipped about how her life wasn't so great, I quipped excitedly, "If your life isn't fabulous then why are you living it that way?"
I actually thought I was helping.
Then she broke down into tears.

Another friend I almost wrote off entirely for not having it quite so "together" as I want.
What in the world?

(To clarify, both of these friends are LDS. I'm not talking about faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm talking about faith in the gospel of Self.)

This post is a little more vulnerable than I'd like.
So please be gentle.
(Maybe I should just take my own advice!)