Tuesday, April 22, 2008

TV Confessions

I like the fact that I get to have some company throughout my work day, even if it is through the comfortable creation of Philo T. Farnsworth. I'm grateful for shows like, "My Wife and Kids", "Friends", "Seinfeld", "Oprah", and... well... "Days of Our Lives."

It's true.


I started watching the hourglass during the summers in elementary school. When I was really little, I remember Mrs. Peele (our housekeeper and my babysitter) watching The Young and the Restless and The Bold and The Beautiful. Ick. I never got into those. I was way more into cartoons.

As I got older I would head over to my friend Jenny's after school. Her mom was way into General Hospital. When I look back and think of Mrs. Lewis, I always picture her in the kitchen watching tv, making us food, or cleaning the dishes (they opted for no dishwasher). I got into the storyline. I picked up on the weird storylines. But I never got into it.

But "Days of Our Lives", for some reason, always intrigued me. Mostly it was Patch and Kayla. Over the years they both left and have now returned. But my new favorite is Sami, played by Allison Sweeney.

Honestly. I have no idea what it is that makes me like this girl. She's bubbly and cute, but not in that stick-figure, binge-purge cute kinda way. And Allison (like how I act as if we're on a first name basis?) also hosts the Biggest Loser. She's also appeared on Fear Factor and other game shows.
She seems like she's just a good girl having fun doing her job.

As for the show itself, I tend to have it on most days I'm at work. But I have to admit, I get way, way, way grossed out by even heavy kissing scenes. And no thanks for all those scenes of people in skimpy clothes or guys without their shirts on. I know some people think that's hot, but it just grosses me out. I'd rather watch CSPAN than watch them get all naked with their boyfriends... or someone else's.

And actually... I must admit, I actually like CSPAN at times.

I'm also a closet admirer of the infomercial. But not just any infomercial. I'm talking ones that are actually well-produced. Ones that make me wonder, "Does that cleaner really do that to carpets that quickly???"

I bought the Tae-bo tapes based on Billy Blanks' crafty 30 minute sales pitch. And I gladly punched my way to his workouts while begging his videotaped guidance to take it a little easier on me.

I also like teeny-bopper shows. If "Saved By the Bell" were still on, I'm sure I would dial it in. Instead I settle for "That's So Raven" and "The Suite Life of Zack and Codie".

At night, I don't really watch much. The big screen typically awaits my setting it to the dvd status. But last night I was spoiled when one of my most favorite shows, "Medium" came on. Some episodes are actually available online.

I have also really liked "Heroes" -- another show I found through Netflix's "Watch it Now" option.

From the looks of it, you'd think I spend lots and lots of time with the tube. But the reality is, I really don't. Watching tv is part of my job. So I mostly have my television sitting on CNN at work.

That is... unless "Days of Our Lives" is on...