Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bon Iver

Last night Russ and I cashed in his birthday present -- tix to see Bon Iver. He's pretty rad! The show was sold-out at the Bowery Ballroom, but we managed to get ourselves in! And it was SOOOO GOOD!!!



The artist is Justin Vernon, who has taken the pen name, Bon Iver -- from the French words "bon hiver", meaning "good winter."

A couple winters ago, he spent four months in his father's cabin in northwestern Wisconsin after a breakup. He says he headed there because he "just didn't know what to do with his life." He tells Reveille Magazine, "It was the first time I could really hear myself. I had my finger on the pulse of what was happening as it happened. Having the time and space allowed me to listen to my inner voice. When you’re in a city and constantly playing shows and are worried about how your band’s doing it’s too easy to get distracted. "

He had a few tools: one guitar, a baritone guitar, bass drum, a snare drum, a horn, and reverb pedals. And out came his album, "For Emma, Forever Ago."


Check him out!!!

You can hear my fave of his on my playlist to the right -- the song is called "For Emma."

And Russ's fave is here, "Stacks."