Thursday, June 14, 2007

Moving On Up... to the West Side

These past two years in New York have been a very, very big learning experience. The first year I spent in grad school. It tore down my brain and built it back up. The second I spent at GMA and in a long-distance relationship. It tore down my heart and built it back up.
Let's see... brain, heart... I guess what that leaves now for me is courage.

So now... I'm on my way out. In about a month or so, I'll pack up the car again and head due west. For now, I'm not so sure what the final gameplan is. I plan to improvise.

I will likely make a stop in Salt Lake for a few days. Then I'll hang out in Portland for a couple weeks. And will then head to L.A. to see if I want to stay there. I really have no idea what I'm going to do. But that's okay. For now I just really feel good about leaving New York. It's been an interesting love affair here. Some days I really liked it here. Other days I just wanted to do anything but go outside.

I've realized that I am destined for the suburbs.

Last week I sat outside in Cathy's backyard back home in northern Virginia. I longed for that peace and beauty! New York has a lot to offer, but it's just not my thing. Maybe five years ago I would have been more into it. Not so sure.
I have a feeling the city will be sad to see me go. At least my neighbors will...