Friday, May 30, 2008

Remembering Grandpa

My grandfather died last Saturday. While I obviously miss his venerable presence, I'm so grateful I knew him so well. He lived more than 100 years -- quite an amazing accomplishment. And he truly knew how to live.
I had scheduled a last-minute trip to Oregon to see him when he fell ill, but he died the day before my arrival. Luckily I was there for the funeral and to see the rest of the family.

Seeing my family and friends reminds me of the simple truth that I am likely the most blessed woman in the world.

The funeral was pleasant and simple.
I think my niece, Aubrey, stated it best about his funeral when she said with excitement, "We're having Grandpa's birthday party for life!!!!"
My sister-and-law and I thought that was quite clever for a five year old. "That's true!" we said!
"At least that's what Grandma told me!"

I think that's truly the right attitude.

I've linked this posting to some previous posts I've made about him. And here's my grandfather's obituary as it appeared in Salem, Oregon's Statesman Journal.

Lester Orion Packard 11/10/1907 - 05/24/2008


KEIZER - Centenarian Lester Orion Packard died Saturday at Avamere Court at Keizer, surrounded by his family and devoted caregivers.
A native of Cameron., Mo., the 100-year-old adhered to the midwestern values he learned as a child: family loyalty, hard work, self-reliance and an appreciation for each and every day. Descended from the Mayflower pilgrims of Massachusetts and the colonists who established Jamestown, Va., in the 1600s, Mr. Packard's ancestors fought in the Revolutionary and Civil wars, rode for the Pony Express and settled America's western frontier. The Packard family still operates its Missouri farm, established in 1860, where Mr. Packard was born.
He was the youngest of four brothers and worked on the farm after he graduated from the University of Missouri in 1932. He married Ora Lois Wardell in 1934 and lived in Missouri, Tennessee and Illinois while employed by Swift & Co., which transferred Mr. Packard to Los Angeles in 1944. When he arrived with his wife, daughters Jane and Patricia, and $700, he discovered there was no place to live and for a time the family lived in a storefront.
Mr. Packard responded to the World War II housing shortage by teaching himself carpentry and building family homes in Temple City and Charter Oak, Calif., which are still occupied. He resided in the Covina area for 65 years, where he was a member of Covina Christian Church. Following the death of his wife, Ora Lois, in 1989, he married Garthy Earline Russell, a fellow church member.
Last year, Mr. Packard moved to Keizer to foster family ties: his daughter, Jane L. Slack and her husband, Donald live in Keizer. His daughter, Patricia M. Kelly resides in Manhattan Beach, Calif. Grandson, Craig Slack, his wife, Debrah, and two children reside in Boise, Idaho. Grandson, Keith Slack lives in Seattle, Wash.; and grandson, Darren Duricka, his wife, Rene', and six children live in Sherwood. Granddaughter, Lynne Slack lives in Monroe, Wash., and granddaughter, Tamara Duricka is from Portland and New York City.
Slack great-grandchildren residing in Boise, Idaho are Erik and Alex. Duricka great-grandchildren residing in Sherwood are Devin, Megan, Joshua, Aubrey, Steven and Samuel Packard (who was named for him). Extended family members are Willard and Pauline Grounds of Salem.
Mr. Packard quickly charmed the Avamere staff, and his caregivers each established a special rapport.
In lieu of flowers, donations in Mr. Packard's name may be sent to the scholarship program of the Oregon Health Care Foundation, 11740 SW 68th Parkway, Suite 250, Portland, OR 97223 or Willamette Valley Hospice, 1015 3rd St. NW., Salem, OR 97304.