Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Reflective Valentine

A Valentine story.

A few years ago my then-boyfriend and I went out to a fancy Japanese restaurant to celebrate our annual Cupid Crisis. He was broke and a loser and I paid.
We went home and I gave him these cute presents I'd spent weeks finding. He was essentially unimpressed.
I woke up the next morning with the worst food poisoning I've ever had. It lasted for two days.

What's the deal with Valentine's Day?

My family loves it; boyfriends suck at it.


I loved Valentine's Day in high school. Every year I would sell something for a student government fundraiser. That way I could be out of class all day and spend my time delivering flowers and candy-grams.
Candy-grams.
Do people do those anymore?

My friends and I still get into Singles Awareness Day. We send each other cute valentines and comfort those who are longing for lovers.
It's a day for me to hug people without them thinking I'm silly.
It was apparently my grandmother's favorite "holiday." My mom has always been really into it. This year both my mom and my brother sent me valentine presents!

I did a few things yesterday, but I finished off the day by spending it with two of my roommates,
Anjali and Paola

We went to a restaurant down the street and were welcomed by a surly woman who told us 'no, we couldn't get the window seat we'd reserved' and that due to an electrical problem, they weren't able to make many items on the menu.
Nice.

It was a good time, though. And no food poisoning to report this morning.