Monday, February 13, 2006

Some Snow

Working with meteorologists has taught me well.

There have been a few times when I've been called in the middle of the night to rush in for an "unexpected" storm. I would then spend the next few days at the station and would sleep a few hours at the hotel nearby.
And then there are the moments when I would have to work on the weekend for an "expected" accumulation but little happens.

So when I heard we were expecting a foot of snow here, I doubted it would really happen.

And I was right! Instead we received TWO feet of snow!
Okay, granted. I was expecting a flurry. But the fact remains I was still correct.

Saturday night the snow began to fall. About six inches had fallen onto cars by the time we came home -- enough to throw snowballs at each other.

And then, my recent bout of insomnia helped me awake at 7:30 to realize that I was in a beautiful winter wonderland.
The streets were quiet except for the electronic snow blowers and the occasional person walking a dog and those who went to church.



Today the streets and sidewalks were clear, but it made for some huge snowbanks on the side of the road. Check that out! Granted, the guy in this picture isn't that tall, but c'mon! Is that crazy or what?



I imagine cars will be stuck in their places for days!











The school - although beautiful in any season - wears snow well too.












But this is the cutest thing of all that I saw on my walk home. This little girl, who couldn't be more than two-and-a-half, was absolutely fascinated by this friend-sized snowman. It made my day.